- Shared Interior Stateroom
- All meals while onboard
- Onboard entertainment and shows
- All events associated with the retreat, including pitch and one-on-one sessions
- Access to our closed Facebook group
- Your writing tribe
- More fun than you’d ever expect to have on a writing retreat
*Additional COVID-19 Information: Please refer to the cruise line’s policies on vaccinations before booking. Cruising Writers adheres to all cruise line protocols.(See Details Tab for More)
The Ship - Carnival, Vista
On a cruise onboard Carnival Vista®, there’s no such thing as too good to be true. In fact, every moment spent on our seafaring marvel is another opportunity to discover fun and excitement, dining for every mood and taste, relaxation, or just about anything else your heart might desire.
While we understand those are some lofty claims, we promise this is one of those rare occasions where your expectations are met and then some. So give us a few minutes as we take you through our Ultimate Guide to Carnival Vista® and the countless experiences waiting for you. Because no matter your age or interests, on a family vacation or couple’s getaway, your cruise vacation is going to be the time of your life.
Creator and Founder of the Better-Faster Academy
Becca Syme is the creator and founder of the Better-Faster Academy and is a Gallup-Certified Strengths Performance Coach who has worked with 5500+ individual writers on creativity, productivity, and author success. She is the host of the Quitcast and the author of the Quitbooks for Writers. She lives in the mountains of Montana where it is always winter and never Christmas.
Strengths for Writers
Strengths for Writers utilizes the Strengths assessment of success metrics to find the “best alignment” for each individual writer. Because we’re all so different, we need customized attention to get that alignment to happen, and that’s the specialty of Becca Syme and the Better-Faster Academy. Our goal in this workshop is to take your individual Strengths (code included, if you haven’t already taken the assessment) and customize your author success. We will learn about the Strengths themselves, and about how ours work together, and each attendee will receive individual alignment with Becca Syme, a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach with experience coaching more than 5000 individual writers. We want to take your biggest challenges and your biggest assets and customize a plan for success just for you.
Creator and Founder of the Create If Writing podcast
Kirsten Oliphant has her MFA in creative writing and has published over a dozen books in various genres from nonfiction to romance. For five years, she has hosted the Create If Writing podcast, which has been named one of the best writing podcasts by Writer’s Digest and The Write Life, among others. She has spoken about writing, marketing, and growing your email list at events like Social Media Day, BlogHer Food, Mediavine Publishers Conference, HBU Writer’s Conference, Podcast Movement, and Blog Elevated. She has been named one of the top 25 Social Media Power Influencers in Houston for multiple years.
Successful Marketing for Indie Authors
With so many social media platforms, ad platforms, and so many opportunities for promotion, authors don’t need to squeeze themselves into a one-size-fits-all approach to marketing. Learn what kinds of marketing efforts are worthwhile TODAY and how to apply your creativity to your own promotion without wasting tons of time or money on things that don’t work.
Galveston, TexasThe island of Galveston was first settled by the Karankawa and Akokisa tribes, who named the island "Auia." If you get the chance, do a quick search on these tribes that founded Galveston before you arrive. The Spanish shipwrecked on Galveston in the mid-1500's, renaming the island the Island of Doom. It wasn't until the late 1700's that Galveston was renamed the Bay of Galveston. Today, Galveston features Pleasure Pier, a great place to spend the day, as well as quaint bed and breakfasts, antique shopping, and walks along the beach. Galveston is home to six historic districts with well over 60 structures listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Cozumel, MexicoCozumel, Mexico is one of the top diving destinations in the world. Known for its bright coral reefs and abundant sea life, you won't want to miss a snorkeling adventure off the coast of Cozumel. A little history and some flint for your imagination... Cozumel means "Land of the Swallow" and is named after the seafaring bird. Settled by the Ancient Mayans over 2,000 years ago, Cozumel was a mecca for Mayan women to worship Ix Chel, the Goddess of Fertility. The remains of Ix Chel's alter and sacrificial site can be found at the San Gervasio ruins site near the center of the island.
Georgetown, Grand CaymanGrand Cayman is not recorded to have a human inhabitant until the early 1600's. Local folklore tells of two original settlers, Mr. Walter and Mr. Bodden, likely arriving after serving in Oliver Cromwell's army in nearby Jamaica. The first Caymanian was Issac Bodden, son of Mr. Bodden. The islands were inhabited by those looking to serve visiting ships with fish, turtles, and even hogs. Many who were shipwrecked along its coast remained on the island as well. As you walk along the Georgetown beaches, ask yourself the unanswerable questions. How did Walter and Bodden get to Grand Cayman? The mother of Issac Bodden is not recorded. What was her story? Take the time to reflect and soak in the multitude of untold stories waiting for you in Georgetown.
Falmouth, JamaicaFalmouth, Jamaica is one of the best preserved glimpses into the Georgian-era. Founded in the late 1700's, Falmouth was painstakingly planned, accommodating wide streets in a regular grid, a reliable water supply, and public buildings. Falmouth was primarily known for exporting sugar and rum. Hmm... a rum exporter from Jamaica - can anyone else see a story there? Don't miss the river bamboo raft rides, arts and crafts shopping, or horse-and-buggy rides through historic Falmouth.
Your retreat fee includes all events associated with the retreat, including pitch sessions, one-on-one sessions, all workshops, and general writing fun! If you’ve purchased your stateroom through us, please see below for what the stateroom ticket includes.
From Carnival (please refer to Carnival’s website for the most updated information)
The price of your cruise includes:
- A well deserved vacation!
- Your stateroom, featuring the Carnival Comfort Bed Collection and nightly turndown service… additional stateroom features include a television, in-stateroom safe, individual climate control, full bathroom and ample storage space.
- Spectacular production shows and entertainment, including hysterical comedians
- Numerous lounges featuring live music and entertainment
- Fitness center
- Pools, hot tub spas and waterslides
- Year round youth programs for kids 2-17 years of age
- A variety of dining options for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and late night in the Main Dining Room and/or Lido Restaurant.
- A variety of dining options for breakfast, lunch and snacking at specialty food spots (featured on select ships), such as but not limited to: Guy’s Burger Joint, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse, BlueIguana Cantina, Street Eats, Big Chicken, Mongolian Wok and Ol’ Fashioned BBQ.
- 24-hour Pizzeria
- 24-hour soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt
- The following beverages served in the Main Dining Room and 24/7 in the Lido Restaurant: non-bottled water, lemonade, iced tea, hot chocolate and non-specialty coffee and tea
The following services are not included in the cruise price:
- Dining in specialty restaurants and snacking at cafes and lounges (featured on select ships), such as but not limited to: The Steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi, Bonsai Teppanyaki, Ji Ji Asian Kitchen, Seafood Shack, Cucina del Capitano, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse|Brewhouse, The Chef’s Table, Emeril’s Bistro 1396, Rudi’s Seagrill, Shake Spot, Javablue Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Lido Coffee Bar, Ocean Plaza Cafe, Havana Bar (on Carnival Sunshine), RedFrog Pub and other lounges that may serve light bites.
- ‘Steakhouse Selections’ served in the Main Dining Room
- 24-hour room service (charges may apply)
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic bar beverages (excluding beverages served in the Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant such as non-bottled water, lemonade, iced tea, select juices, hot chocolate and non-specialty coffee and tea)
- Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast
- Gift Shop purchases
- Purchases at Cherry on Top and Special Occasions (featured on select ships)
- Thrill Theater and IMAX Theatre (featured on select ships)
- Spa treatments, Salon services and select fitness classes
- Gambling in the casino and Bingo
- Video Arcade games
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park at Sea (featured on Carnival Panorama)
- BOLT Ultimate Sea Coaster (featured on Carnival Celebration, Carnival Jubilee and Mardi Gras)
- Loft 19 rental for guests not occupyng a Carnival Excel-level suite (featured on Carnival Celebration, Carnival Jubilee and Mardi Gras)
- Art Auction Program (featured on select ships)
- Carnival Adventures Shore Excursions
- Internet access and ‘chat’ option on the HUB app
- Use of your smartphone
- Ship-to-Shore telephone calls
- Medical services
- Laundry services (valet or self-service)
- Service gratuities and tips
When purchasing your cruise vacation, the following are optional:
- Ground transportation (transfers) to/and or from the airport to the cruise terminal
- Fly2Fun air transportation
- Hotel packages (on select itineraries)
- Carnival Vacation Protection
Carnival Galveston, Texas Port
Port of Galveston
Cruise Terminal 1
2502 Harborside Drive
Port shuttle buses will transport guest between parking lot and terminal.
Payment: Cash, Visa, MasterCard
(Guests can pre-pay for parking by going to the port web site.)
At the Pier
Please expect delays related to security procedures when arriving at the port to board the ship. These procedures have been designed for your safety and all attempts will be made to expedite you through the process as quickly as possible. Please do not arrive before 11AM as space is limited in the terminal.